![]() |
| Source: lastlemon.com |
One of my favorite things about reading is being able to use my imagination to visit another place--someone else's story. You may not know this, but most adults don't get to use their imaginations as much as you do as kids. We are so busy working hard and taking care of things in our lives, that we don't get to play and have fun as often as we'd like. So reading is a great past time that allows us to imagine.
![]() |
| Source: quotes.orb |
So now YOU imagine--imagine Mrs. Cockrell as a 2nd grader or a 4th grader, going to school with you! As a student, I did really well in reading (probably because I loved it so much and had lots of practice) and did ok in math. I talked a LOT, so I did get in trouble sometimes for talking at the wrong time. It's important to try to use self-control even when it's tough, right? :)
Now to the fun part! I want to share some of my favorite books with you. These are some books that I loved when I was in elementary school:
(Click the pictures to read more about each book on Amazon.com.)
![]() |
| The Boxcar Children mysteries by Gertrude Chandler Warner |
I read many of the books in this series as a kid. If you like mysteries, I bet you'll like these books!
You know what's really cool? The series were first written during World War II, back in 1942! I think it's way cool to read something written during an important time in our history.
![]() |
| The Berenstain Bears series by Stan & Jan Berenstain |
I read every single one of these as a kid! I loved them. I love how they are funny at times and how they also deal with a real-life issue or situation and help us learn a lesson.
In recent years, they even came out with Berenstain Bears chapter books! Click the book below to check them out.
![]() |
| Berenstain Bear Scouts chapter books by Stan & Jan Berenstain |
![]() |
| Amelia Bedelia by Peggy Parish |
We actually had an author visit at Lakeside a few years ago by Herman Parish, who is Peggy Parish's nephew. He took over writing stories about Amelia Bedelia after his aunt passed away. It's really neat that he is publishing more and more stories about Amelia so that she lives on. He even has a chapter book series out now about Amelia Bedelia as a little girl. Check them out by clicking the picture below:
![]() |
| Amelia Bedelia Means Business chapter book #1 by Herman Parish |
![]() |
| Sideways Stories from Wayside School by Louis Sachar |
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Louis Sachar's series about Wayside School.
This school is wacky, weird, and crazy! The weirdest, silliest things happen to the students there.
Good news! This will be our next read aloud when we finish our book about Humphrey! You will love it. I promise. :)
We will try to read the whole Wayside School series this year, but here are more more great books by Louis Sachar if you want to check them out:
![]() |
| Dogs Don't Tell Jokes by Louis Sachar |
![]() |
| Holes by Louis Sachar |
Well, I guess that's probably about enough! I hope you enjoyed reading a little bit more about me and about my favorite books from childhood. You can find many of these books in our classroom library and in our school library.
No matter what you're interested in, there is a book out there that's for YOU; a book that will make you love reading as much as I do! I am here to help you throughout your reading journey this year, so let's work together to find awesome books.
![]() |
| Source: http://busemd.edublogs.org |
Leave a comment telling me about one of your very favorite books or why you love reading!
Happy weekend!
Love, Mrs. Cockrell
P.S. Parents, here is a great link to Scholastic where you can search books to find out their reading level or enter a reading level and find books:













I like reading because you can find out what the story is about.
ReplyDeleteMe, too, Audrey! The book I just finished was so exciting, I couldn't wait to find out what happened! Those are the great books--the ones that keep you reading! :)
Deletemy favorite book is ninjago because I like ninjas. Brian .z
ReplyDeleteIt is great that you found a topic you are interested in!
DeleteMy favorite book is bone because it is interesting and long.I like books because they are an easy way to learn new wards. Thanks for sharing your favorite books.
ReplyDeleteSee you tomorrow : )
I am so glad you have a series that you like to read! It is fun to learn new words. :)
DeleteMy favorite book is the bearstien bears.I enjoy that you shared with me.
ReplyDeleteGreat minds think alike! I love the Berenstain Bears, too!
DeleteI love it when Claire brings home the Lakeside library books she checked out that week and reads them to me before bedtime! Reading is FUN!!!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad Claire enjoys reading to you and vice versa! The library is one of my favorite places in the world! :)
DeleteMy favorite book is A Tree Named Steve because it is fun to read.
ReplyDeleteThat is a great book. :)
DeleteI like the Guinness World Record books! They have a lot of funny records;-)
ReplyDelete