Today we talked about "Read to Self." We talked about what Read to Self looks like and sounds like, and some students volunteered to model correct and incorrect behaviors. We did a great job pointing out what they wrong and how we could fix it.
Last, we had our first "stamina challenge" where we tried to read to self for 3 straight minutes without losing focus or getting off task. First we only made it to 28 seconds! (Harder than it sounds!) But our 2nd try we made it to 3 minutes and 20 seconds.
Here are some of us during the stamina challenge.
Today we also began our CAFE program, in which we'll be learning and practicing strategies to help us become better readers. CAFE stands for:
-Comprehension (I understand what I read.)
-Accuracy (I can read the words.)
-Fluency (I can read accurately with expression.)
-Expand Vocabulary (I know, find, and use interesting words.)
The strategies we practiced today were:
-check for understanding (comprehension)
-cross checking (accuracy)
-back up and re-read (comprehension)
Ask your child to show you our hand motions for cross-checking!
Happy 4-day week! :)






We're working on Read to Self stamina too! The first couple of days it was a challenge to get to 3 and 4 minutes and I was worried. But today the kids made it to 8 minutes easily. I guess there was no reason to worry so early on. Hope the rest goes well for you too!
ReplyDeleteChrissy
First Grade Found Me
Thanks, Chrissy! Today we got up to almost 5 minutes, so that was good! I think the kiddos were surprised by how hard it is to stay focused for such a short time, but it does take practice! :)
DeleteMrs. Cockrell, your fourth grade teacher is so proud of the teacher you have become. :)
ReplyDeleteThank you, Mrs. Walker! I do so love teaching, and I'm very thankful that I ended up where I am! I also love 2nd grade! Hope you are off to a good year as well!
Deletethe move was very funney!
ReplyDelete