Sunday, October 16, 2011

Q & A with author Deborah Hopkinson

Deborah Hopkinson, author of Apples to Oregon, was so kind to answer some questions our 2nd grade students thought of for her.  Thank you, Mrs. Kubinsky, for contacting Ms. Hopkinson and sending her our questions!

Here are our questions and Ms. Hopkinson's answers:


How long did it take you to write the book Apples to Oregon?
 
It took about a whole school year, from the start until the end.
 
Have you ever grown an apple tree?  If so is that where you first got the idea to write Apples to Oregon? 
 
Well, actually we did have a couple of small apple trees in Walla Walla, Washington where I was living when I wrote Apples to Oregon.  Can you find another mention of Walla Walla in the book?
 
Where do you get the information for your books?
I got the information by doing research. I found an article about the real Luelling family and the rest I made up!
 
What is it like to be an author?
It is fun but hard work to write books, and lots of fun to visit schools and talk to kids.  I also have a day job at a college, raising money for scholarships so that kids can go to college.
 
What is your favorite book you’ve written?
I think that Apples to Oregon IS my favorite book!
 
Which book has been the most popular book?
The most popular book has been Sweet Clara and the Freedom Quilt. Maybe you can find that and read it too.
 
Are you writing a new book?
I have three books coming out in 2012:  A Boy Called Dickens, Titanic: Voices from the Disaster, and Annie and Helen.
 
If you are working on a new book, what would it be about?
In addition to my three new books, I am writing another new one.  It is called A Trail of Coffins and it is a story about a boy who lives in London during a terrible epidemic.
I also just finished a book called, A Letter to My Teacher.
 
Did you like to write stories when you were in 2nd grade?
I think you all are probably ahead of me.  I didn't start writing until I was in 4th grade. 
  
Do you have any advice for us as young writers?
 Keep writing and reading!
 
Have a great year!
 
All best,
 
Deborah Hopkinson

No comments:

Post a Comment